Reporting to the Head of Safety & Security the purpose of the Area 5 Manager leads a team of correctional staff in maintaining the safety, security and good order of Areas 5 at Parklea Correctional Centre (PCC) through effective supervision and continuous static and dynamic security. This ensures PCC is maintained as an environment that is conducive to providing support, services and interventions to inmates to improve their lives and reduce their likelihood of reoffending.
The Area 5 Manager is accountable for ensuring that the daily operations of Areas 5 runs smoothly and any risk to this promtly addressed. This role liaises with multiple internal stakeholders, ensuring service delivery outcomes are achieved. The Area 5 Manager brings strong leadership qualities and the ability to lead, motivate and influence staff. This individual is outcomes and solutions focused, and adept at dealing appropriately with unpredictable and challenging behaviour without compromising sensitivity to the needs of inmates.
The person we are looking for will have the following:
Demonstrated previous experience of working at a similar level and role in a correctional environment is necessary.
Skills and Personal attributes
- Leadership – Demonstrate the capacity to mentor, motivate and manage the work of others and to model exemplary behaviour to team members and inmates
- Judgment – Display sound judgment in responding to risks, threats and incidents, including reporting or escalating issues as required, and managing sensitive situations and information appropriately
- Communication – Communicate verbally and in writing in a manner that is pro-social, appropriate for the audience, clear, thorough and effective
- Interpersonal aptitude – Demonstrate empathy, cultural understanding and the abilities to connect, build appropriate relationships, influence, negotiate and navigate interpersonal differences with inmates, peers and others
- Conflict and incident management – Accurately assess conflict and incident situations, make effective judgements, and apply knowledge of best practices and defined policies and procedures to de-escalate and manage conflicts and incidents
- Resilience – Show adaptability, perseverance and courage in achieving required objectives under pressure and in the face of challenges
- Accountability – Take ownership, pro-actively achieve objectives and continuously improve.
- Must obtain appropriate security clearances from New South Wales Police and Correctional Services New South Wales
- Must meet the physical requirements of the role and pass a functional fitness and health assessment; due to the demands of the role, applicants who consume alcohol excessively, abuse prescription drugs or consume illicit substances are unsuitable
- Must obtain and maintain a First Aid accreditation in the form of a current Statement of Attainment for HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
- Must have completed a Certificate III in Correctional Practice and Certificate IV in Correctional Practice within the first 12 months of service in the role if not already achieved.
If you have the required qualifications, skills and experience we would love to hear from you! Please click apply for this fantastic opportunity.
We acknowledge the importance of our people’s diverse experiences, talents and cultures that they bring to work with them each day. Embracing Diversity and Creating Inclusion is a key component of our Talent Management Strategy. The creation of a Diverse and Inclusive workforce is central to our ability to unlock potential and enhance our success, creating a high-performance business.
Position Reference Number: 106933